Monday, January 18, 2010

Chloe

About a year ago a former student of mine passed away.  She'd battled leukemia since the eighth grade.  When she died she was a senior in high school.  I miss her. Last year the school held several fundraising events and brought quite a bit of attention to her life and her story. This year, as with everything, there's not as much light on the issue.  I understand, we're human, things fade. They're making bracelets to honor life and struggle.  Just thinking about her again is saddening, and I have to fight back the tears.  I just remember feeling like it wasn't that big of a deal. She'll fight and she'll win. She didn't.

When I was in the seventh grade a classmate of mine died as a result of leukemia as well.  I miss them both.

1 comment:

Hurricane Rita said...

I remember Yatta. So young. So tall and slender. I was talking to Ekom on the regular as she was struggling with her friend's losing battle. It was heart breaking. I felt like I knew the girl, and when she called to tell me Chloe had passed, I wept. Every now and again she'll post on Facebook, and I'll be reminded. Thanks for sharing this.