Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Emancipation Proclamation

I'm going to attempt to thru hike the 790 mile baby beast that is the Arizona trail (AZT).  At this point my departure date is August 18, 2010.  Ahhh! Writing it means that others know about it.  It's no longer some internal desire. Well, proclaming it here doesn't make it wholly external.  There's nothing external that will push me to finish.  Except God. And I'm not fully convinced that God is external.

I feel like so much of my life has been future-oriented or past-related. Working full-time has made me wish for time to hike and travel.  I'm quitting my job soon enough and the panic that takes residence is evidence that something is wrong.  I shouldn't be so worried about something that's happening so far in the future.  When I think about moving to AZ my chest palpates and I feel uneasy. When I research the AZT wonder drives me.  A bit of trepidation flutters, but mostly wonder and peace.  I may not finish.  So what. I'm going to try. That's what's important to me.

Right now, I'm deciding if I should sell my belongings... again. I'm leaning toward no because I have really great stuff and I don't want to have to buy it all over again.  I don't mind getting rid of the meaningless things, but my oversized chair and mosaic table are two things that signify good things.

My 0 degree down bag came in the mail today. Yay!  My Smartwool shirt came yesterday.  A bunch of other gear is on its way.  My tent (so excited) should be here in a week or so. I'm going to take Garvey on an overnight camping trip so I can see what we're both made of... can we handle the cold? Most of the other things will go into storage till I'm through with grad school.

I'll be fine. The prospect of mountain lions freaks me out a bit, not gonna front.  Other than that, I'll be fine.  :)

No comments: